SPL Gold Mike MKII Dual-Channel Class A solid state/tube preamps
The SPL Gold Mike MK2 is the result of all our experience and knowledge from its successful predecessor and represents an improved, more flexible and, more modern version.
We have added technologies that have already proven to provide superior tonal results in other SPL products. For example, the instrument input is designed around a class A impedance converter which premiered in the SPL GainStation.
A significant contribution to the success of the predecessor was the hybrid preamplifier concept. It combines transistor and tube preamplifier stages and specifically utilizes their technological and sonic advantages: The efficiency and low noise of a discrete transistor stage is enriched with musical coloration of a tube stage.
The transistor stage is composed of single transistors in a class A design. The circuitry is fully discrete, and each transistor is completely optimized for its specific task. You will not find any IC’s in this preamplifier stage because they cannot be optimized for this specific application to the degree we at SPL aim for. This all new discrete class A transistor stage is a genuine innovation in the entire preamplifier market at this price level.
The degree of tube pre-amplification is no longer the fixed +6 dB value of its predecessor. The Gold Mike MKII sports the selection of three different tube pre-amplifications: +6 dB remains the standard complemented by +12 dB and +18 dB. This allows creative variety with the tube saturation and limiting effects.
We have also added an extra setting to the popular Flair circuitry to give more flexibility to the presence improvement. Because the GoldMikeMKII is a dual channel preamplifier, its channel separation is of fundamental importance for the stereo image. Therefore the print-board layout is symmetrically mirrored around the power supply in the center from channel 1 to channel 2. This results in an identical signal flow to supporting a naturally balanced stereo image. Additionally the print-board provides extra-large ground areas maximizing the shielding against crosstalk and interference.
- Frequency response: ‹10Hz bis 90kHz (-3dB)
- Input impedance: Microphone, XLR: 2,8kOhm; Line In, TRS: 10kOhm; Instr. In TRS: 1mOhm
- Output impedance (XLR and TRS): 50Ohm
- Input level -30dBu, Gain 30dBu: 0,016 %
- Input level -40dBu, Gain 40dBu: 0,017 %
- Input level -50dBu, Gain 50dBu: 0,022 %
- Input level -60dBu, Gain 60dBu: 0,048 %
- Noise (A-weighted, R=40Ohm):
- Gain 30dB: -91,2dBu
- Gain 40dB: -86,6dBu
- Gain 50dB: -78,7dBu
- Gain 60dB: -69,3dBu
- Dynamic range (Gain 30dB): 110dB
- E.I.N.: 128dBu
- Max. input level: Mic +7dBu/+PAD: +28dBu; Line In: +23dBu; Instr. In: +7dBu/. +PAD: +14dBu
- Max. output level: Balanced, XLR+ TRS +26,8dBu; Unbalanced, XLR+ TRS +21,5dBu
- CMRR: 1 KHz, Gain 30dB: ›75dB; 10 KHz, Gain 30dB: ›75dB
- Power consumption: 25W
- Dimensions: W x H x D (mm) 482 x 88 x 210
- Weight: 4,1kg